R.S.E (Relationship and Sex Education) Curriculum
R.S.E. curriculum statement of intent
Subject Leader is Mrs Reynolds.
Our Relationships curriculum is aligned to the vision of Cherry Willingham Priory Academy and that of the Priory Federation of Academies.
At Cherry Willingham Primary Academy we promote personal wellbeing and development through a comprehensive Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education programme. Our curriculum strives to give young people the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and practical skills to live safe, healthy, productive lives and meet their full potential and is encompassing of our key values of: respect, wisdom, curiosity, generosity, courage and passion.
Our RSE curriculum includes teaching about: healthy relationships, including friendships and intimate relationships; families; growing and changing, including puberty; personal hygiene; changing feelings; becoming more independent; keeping safe and what is meant by consent; and developing self-esteem and confidence.
We will provide pupils with opportunities to ask questions that help them prepare for relationships of all kinds in the modern world. PSHE education is taught throughout the school in every year group and is progressive in its content throughout key stage 1 and 2. All PSHE teaching takes place in a safe learning environment and is underpinned by our school ethos and values.
We value and strive to create a curriculum which is creative and engaging and ensure that all pupils have access to this curriculum and make progress in their primary education. Our PSHE Curriculum will provide children with a toolkit which will enable them to show compassion and empathy towards each other and those who they are yet to meet.
Our PSHE / RSE curriculum will:
- Be taught through key questions which will act as a stimulus for discussions of key elements from the statutory curriculum.
- Be assessed accurately through a range of formative and summative assessments. Using assessment information to triangulate and inform intervention and secure progress for all.
- Ensure children have a positive view of the changes they go through and the relationships that are open to them.
- Allow children to develop a deep knowledge of themselves and other people alongside a clear understanding of how to keep themselves and others safe.
- Ensure children are prepared for the next stage of their education.
- Prepare children for independence as they become older.
- Draw of the views of others and recognise the importance of difference and diversity.
How will we achieve our intent at Cherry Willingham Primary Academy?
Learning will be developed over time through the following themes: Relationships, Health and Well Being and Living in the Wider World.
Our curriculum intent will be achieved through:
- Lessons which are rich in scientifically appropriate language and discussion.
- Weekly lessons which will provide opportunities for talk in an open manner.
- The three themes of relationships, health and wellbeing and living in the wider world will be revisited each year and build on previous key questions to deepen the children’s knowledge and understanding.
- Use resources to enhance teaching where appropriate.
- Use texts to support learning and enhance understanding.
The curriculum is planned and sequenced to build upon knowledge and develop as the children grow and mature.
Children will demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of British values through their attitudes within school and the community. They will show respect and acknowledge diversity within the school and wider community. At the end of each unit of work, children will be able to discuss the key questions which have been displayed and be able to articulate in more depth the knowledge and understanding they have gained. They will be able to articulate factual information in relation to the topics they have been taught. Children will have a secure understanding of the key ideas as outlined by the DFE.