Our curriculum is aligned to the vision of the Priory Federation of Academies.
Our drivers are Wisdom, Curiosity, Generosity, Courage, Passion and Respect.
Our curriculum will:
- Provide clearly sequenced, quality learning which recognises prior knowledge for all learners including those who are disadvantaged or SEND. Wisdom
- Enable our pupils to develop resilience, curiosity, motivation and become aspirational learners.
- Be rich in opportunities that will build on the skills and depth knowledge to enable our pupils to flourish. Wisdom
- Enhance personal development through our Values and develop positive attitudes to learning. Respect
- Support the whole child ensuring that physical development, well-being and mental health are part of learning. Passion
- Celebrate the diversity and utilise the cultural wealth of the school community and support the pupil's spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. Generosity
- Provide lots of learning challenges throughout the academic year which require our children to solve problems, apply themselves creatively and express their knowledge and understanding effectively across the curriculum. Wisdom, Passion
- Develop resilient learners who are proud of themselves, recognise their achievements and are supportive of other's success. Courage
- Our curriculum learning is delivered in blocks and spaced repetition. In KS1 and EY maths is delivered in a spiral approach until all the foundations are secure.
- Continuous provision is in place across Early Years and Year 1 groups.
- Retrieval practice is used for previously learned content in the form of 'cold tasks' in core subjects, and POP tasks and Mind Maps in non-core subjects.
- Knowledge organisers/topic webs are used termly to provide pupils and carers with information which will allow for greater access to key words and knowledge.
- The curriculum is planned so that there is a sequence of content and transferable knowledge and skills, necessary for subsequent learning and to support progress.
- Some of our curriculum is subject specific. Other content is combined in a cross curricular approach.
- Themed weeks/days, including, science, space, mental health, diversity, books, military, and residential as well as whole school activities within and outside of school all enrich learning. After school clubs and events extend these opportunities further.
- Additional whole school programmes, such as Read Write Inc, Power Maths/White Rose Maths, Active Spelling and Talk for Writing, support quality teaching and learning.
- A variety of assessment opportunities are built into the curriculum plan, enabling teachers to evaluate what level of concepts, knowledge and understanding the children have gained securely.
- Quality teaching and learning leads to most pupils having a solid foundation and mastery of the content of our curriculum. They will have the skills to approach new learning, and some pupils will have understanding at a greater depth.
National Curriculum and EYFS Framework
- Changes to the early years foundation stage (EYFS) framework - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Phonics and Reading
At Cherry Willingham Primary School we follow the Read Write Inc. scheme throughout Reception and Key Stage 1.
Early Years children will not have reading books initially, until they are beginning to blend initial sounds together. The books will then follow the RWI. scheme. The children will bring their reading books home every night with a reading record for parents/carers to fill in when they have heard their child read. Children will also be listened to read in school, however we do not have set days for this to happen. Please endeavour to listen to your children read at home and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to come into school and see your child's class teacher.
Please see the RWI and Reading section on the website for support, ideas and resources. However, as an addition Oxford Owl website is really helpful for parents, who would like to help their child with reading at home. There are 250 free eBooks for you to share and also lots of games, activities and ideas. Please click on the link below and sign up for free!
LONG TERM SUBJECT OVERVIEWS
Please see below for the Long Term Overview for EYFS, encompassing all areas of learning